Dear Readers...

Welcome to my blog !

I hope that you'll enjoy it enough to return and stay around long enough to know more about my life. This entry is the first in over a year because I did not have an outlet for my writings. The beginnings of the blog, dating back to '05, will be posted as soon as I can get it typed and mailed out of here, that will take a few more weeks cause it's in population while I'm in segregation. Oh, I began this blog to give people an insight into how my life would change by going from death row to adjusting to life in a regular prison population. Please stick around, I promise it will get better.

Gary Hart's Facebook profile

Saturday, August 4, 2007

July 9, 2007

Greetings from general population! Yes, I've made it out of seg. and resettled into pop.. The following is how it all played out.


As I expected my appeals for help with getting the disciplinaries dismissed were unsuccessful. The Deputy Warden kicked me down and the Warden quickly followed suit, but it wasn't all for nothing. I believe that my efforts earned me the respect of the Deputy Warden, who helped me leave seg. quiches than most others would have in my situation. Besides writing him a very long letter we talked about how things happened when he came through seg. with the weekly Segregation Review Board.

When I got what's known as the "final copy" of the disciplinaries and saw that he'd approved them and not dismissed either I was shocked. Those papers arrived at my door on June 7th, but were supposedly signed on the 22nd of May. Once again they have skirted their own rules and there was nothing I could do about it. The rules state that they have ten working days, not including weekends or holidays, to sign off on this. But somehow they rewrote the rules without adding the changes to the "imamate rule book" and have 30 days to sign off, anything beyond that must be explained.


Once I accepted that there is no escaping my punishments I quickly wrote the Deputy Warden and the Captain over segregation trying to get moved into the doghouse as soon as possible. The reason for that was they were talking about sending me to pop. while waiting for a spot in the doghouse during our chats when they were with the Seg. Board. There plans would've had the punishments hanging over my head for a long time and had me in limbo while in pop. because I would've been unable to tell my mother to visit cause I could've been moved anytime.


On June 12th I was moved into the doghouse and several inmates were pissed off that I was moved ahead of them. When I tried to explain how it happened they still had no understanding. The Deputy Warden and Captain pushed me ahead of them because they are always looking for guys to release into pop. and I fit the bill, when my doghouse days were over with I'd quickly be released into population.


After over 17 1/2 years of imprisonment I've finally experienced the doghouse. During my early years when I had many fights there wasn't a doghouse for death row, now there is one and luckily I’d learned from those early mistakes. When the officer processed me into the New cell they searched my property and took some magazines, batteries, candy, radio and headphones. The cell was as nasty as the others so I spent several hours cleaning it.

The routine while there was the same as in the other cell, expect there wasn't a radio to block out the day and increased things as the weeks went by. My mail was kinda slow so I didn't write much and I neglected the blog because I doubted if it would get built. I'm sorry that doubt took over because Claire has never let me down before, her dedication and love have always shined through.

Being unable to spend money to get the things I was use to having had me eating almost everything on my trays and grateful to get a very thin cigarette (illegal) and one spoon of coffee. It was rough on me, with a life so depriving I hate being denied what's within my reach. The weeks leading up to the doghouse I purchased the necessities, you know soap, deodorant, pens, paper, envelopes, multi-vitamins and candy because I wanted to prepare for not having any snacks. The candy went quickly and I had to swear off candy bars after I ate five in one day.

The guy who had that cell before me was feeding the birds through a hole in the window the size of an ink pen and I wanted to follow suit. It was hard looking at the birds cock their heads to eye me when I'd be in the window and a few times I manages to feed them, but like I said earlier hunger made me eat everything. I needed my bread! :) Other inmates fed them and they'd survive without mans intervention so I managed to still enjoy bird watching without any guilt, actually I'd be in thee window to see the women thanks to a view of the parking lot and would watch the birds during intermissions.

Leaving the doghouse gave me a good feeling and I was put in a cell under someone I'd known for ten years. Jeremiah Jackson got off death row thanks to the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling in Atkins vs.
Virginia (2001) that made it illegal to execute the mentally retarded, it's taken him this long to get a State Court to determine that he falls into that category. Jeremiah was excited when he learned I was in seg. and when I left the doghouse he was super excited when I was put under him, nearly talked my ears off. When we are surrounded by people that we don't know it's a pleasure to find a familiar face amongst the crowd.

My stay under Jeremiah didn't last very long because I was let out of the doghouse on June 29th and released into population on July 2nd. He and I knew that we were on the release list, #5 and #9, and couldn't wait for our numbers to be called.

I left seg. around
noon and as I headed down the hall a police ran by me and yelling, "Code Red, Code Red in Receiving !" Then another police began yelling, "Clear the hall, Clear the hall. Go to your dorms!" There I am standing in the middle of the hall not knowing what to do cause I don't even have a dorm to report to yet, next thing I know I see is an inmate I barely know bleeding. Yes, violence has reared its head again, he was stabbed/cut by another guy. It turns out that both the victim and the assailant lived in the dorm I was going to, my old dorm, and I was suppose to be on the bunk above the victim. His misfortune got him sent to seg. after a trip to the hospital and gave me the bottom bunk.

The prison was locked down for the rest of the day and I suspect that it was for only one day due to the camera crew being here from MSNBC.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is Jeremiah now?

Anonymous said...

I want to know also...
Where is Jeremiah now?
Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Gary said...

Please indicate your name or alias when you leave a comment, so I can tell Gary what you said with more precisions. You can write your name when leaving a comment by clicking on "Name/URL". I asked him where was Jeremiah Jackson now and I wait for his answer.