Dear Readers...

Welcome to my blog !

I hope that you'll enjoy it enough to return and stay around long enough to know more about my life. This entry is the first in over a year because I did not have an outlet for my writings. The beginnings of the blog, dating back to '05, will be posted as soon as I can get it typed and mailed out of here, that will take a few more weeks cause it's in population while I'm in segregation. Oh, I began this blog to give people an insight into how my life would change by going from death row to adjusting to life in a regular prison population. Please stick around, I promise it will get better.

Gary Hart's Facebook profile

Thursday, June 7, 2007

May 2, 2007 - From population to segregation

It started as just another day, but ended as one that I'll replay in my mind forever. I went to work in the law library (law clerk) from 7:30 - 11:00. During lunch I was glad to pick up my supply of medicine from the clinic, possessing those pills will keep me from standing in line everyday to get them, one hour of my day has just been returned to me. The only thing that's on my mind is getting a shower and some sleep; I've been up since 4:45 (breakfast).

The moment I extend my foot toward the water it is cut off. One of the guys already soaped up accuses me of being an evil spirit that caused the heavenly waters to vanish. Through some investigation we find out that maintenance is removing the showers, sinks, toilets and all pipes in another dorm. Just like the water was turned off to every outlet in population without notice it was turned on after about 30 minutes, essentially ending my reign as Lucifer. Not knowing what will happen next I quickly shower and dive in the bed, it's around 1:00 pm.

Awakened at 3:50 pm by a bump on the bunk. I notice the dorm is very alive and the bumper is pointing at the officer in our dorm, not having on my glasses I can only guess at what the officer is pointing at. I make the long stiff walk to the officer and he says, "Get ready and I'll release you to get your legal mail in five minutes". Oh, he must have been pointing to the names on the mail list. As, I brush my teeth and freshen up I'm thinking about not getting any regular mail and how tired I must've been to sleep so long and deep.

By 3:55 I'm out of the dorm and making my way to the mail window. The big yard is open and guys are already on the basketball court, so my team will play a game that was scheduled for yesterday. Anything can delay games, especially when the big yard isn't opened up for days. All the movement of people in population reminds me of an anthill, men coming and going through various openings and just because the line of ants is broken doesn't mean that's the end of that line, see here they come following the same scent trail.

When I arrive at the mail window there is another inmate waiting. I ask him has he knocked on the window, it's not a glass window but is wooden, and his reply was, "Sgt. is going to do it". This fellow is over 60 years old and suffers from severe hearing lost - even has one hearing aid, so I'm not sure if he heard me correctly. I look around and spot Sgt. Gaines then point him out to the other inmate, the old fellow says, "He's over there running his mouth". We both laugh and continue to watch Sgt. Gaines until he is out of sight, he returns after a few minutes to tell us that the mail lady is gone. The old man has the good sense to ball up his winkled face and head to chow.

I ask the Sgt., "You mean to tell me I was waked up and I'm still not getting my legal mail". Sgt. Gaines asks, "Who woke you up?" I say, "The officer in my dorm and told me that in five minutes I could get my legal mail". The Sgt. says, "Hold up a minute and let me see something". Sgt. Gaines is trying to get another officer's attention who is in a cubicle to ask her about the whereabouts of the mail lady and he drifts about four feet away from me.

While I'm standing there gazing into the cubicle Lt. Raines appears to my right and asks why am I standing there. I reply that I'm trying to get my legal mail. The Lt. said, "Legal mail is down there", while pointing toward the mailroom. I said, "I know". Lt. Raines said again, "Legal mail is down there", and pointing again. That's when I said, "I know. I'm waiting on Sgt., he's handling it", while pointing at Sgt. Gaines.

Lt. Raines said, "You can't get legal mail right there". And I said, "Okay, don't worry about it", and was going to go eat (I actually was thinking I'd just come back once I finished eating). That's when Lt. Raines put his hand toward my chest and I reacted by leaning back and stepping back while saying, "Don't put your hands on me". He said, "Okay, come with me".

Next thing I know I'm being told to empty my pockets, remove my belt, turn around (after which I was frisked" and then lead to a one man cell. I'm held in that cell until after 12:00 am when I'm processed into segregation (seg.) and moved to a cell in the disciplinary segregation unit. The first cell was dirty with no mattress, but it was okay because I was able to talk with a few guys I know from death row. The second cell was so nasty that I spent three hours cleaning it with a bar of soap, a rag and a toothbrush on my hands and knees. The toilet had a layer of crud that was so thick and brown that I thought I'd vomit.

No comments: